Tuesday, May 28, 2013

LES Galleries Reaction

After visiting Chelsea and the Lower East Side Galleries, I quickly noticed the differences. To start off comparing both neighborhoods, they are completely different. The Lower East Side Galleries are located in a "lower income", "dirtier", and "urban-ish" place which effects your expectation on what you're going to see in the galleries. In comparison to Chelsea, the neighborhood is in a "higher income", and "cleaner" area. Like I said earlier, both environments will have an effect on your expectations. Both galleries show different works from what I remember. The artwork in Chelsea was more sophisticated in a sense, and the LES galleries had very colorful, exotic, and some controversial works. Personally I loved the LES galleries more than the Chelsea galleries because of the unique stuff that caters to my taste. I love dark, grunge, and colorful themes. Not saying that the artworks in Chelsea provided that, but I feel like the work in Chelsea caters to a certain audience. I'm going to show some works that really caught my attention from both galleries, and we'll see if you're able to notice which paintings are from what gallery. 


The "Pace" Gallery 

Zhang Xiaogang
"Young Woman" Painted Bronze 
2013

Zhang Xiaogang"Young Woman"
2013


No comments:

Post a Comment